Grinnell Brothers grand and upright pianos are built to the highest of standard at a very affordable price. They are designed to have a warmer, richer tone color that allows the student to experiment with many different types of music.
Grinnell Brothers opened their first music store to supply musical instruments to the growing Metro Detroit area. By the mid 1950’s, Grinnell Brothers was billed as the largest distributor of pianos in the world, with factories in Detroit, Holly, Michigan, and Windsor, Canada. They quickly grew to be one of the largest music companies in the country, with 42 retail locations throughout the Midwest and Canada. Grinnell buildings still dot the Detroit landscape.
The first Grinnell Brothers Piano Factory was located on
what is today known as Plaza Drive,
between 1st Ave. and Cass Ave.
The Grinnell building was built in 1908 on Woodward Ave. An Albert Kahn design, it was adorned with white-glazed terra cotta tiles. The company closed its flagship showroom in 1981, nearly 75 years after opening.