Private Piano Instructor, Composer & Arranger
After graduating from college with a degree in elementary education and after teaching elementary school for 5 years, Suzanne realized that her true calling was to mentor and to teach young children and adults, not only to play the piano, but also to develop a deep appreciation for music. It is her desire to lead students to an understanding of what is truly at the heart of music. Suzanne teaches private and group lessons with a concentration in composition and improvisation. As an orchestra and band performer, she offers advanced instruction in solo piano performance and accompanying. She has extensive experience in orchestral arrangements and composition, also offering courses in Finale.
Suzanne believes that all musicians learn differently; therefore, she feels that the teacher’s primary responsibility is to assess the student’s learning style, customizing her instruction accordingly. She teaches all genres of music including classical, jazz, and pop to ages 6 through adult. In addition to theory and repertoire, she will incorporate the use of ear training, chording, and exercises in finger dexterity. Suzanne uses a variety of teaching materials, which vary according to the student’s level and learning style. Weekly lessons are available on Tuesday and Thursday for $30 per half hour or $60 per hour, billed monthly or by semester. For more information, please contact Hannah Frantz at 248.560.0366.
- Bachelor’s degree in education from Bob Jones University in Greenville, SC
- Certified, Yamaha Music Education System Piano Instructor
- Director of Instrumental Music at NorthRidge Church, Plymouth MI for 15 years
- Composer and arranger for the 40-piece orchestra and 150-voice choir at NorthRidge Church’s ‘Glory of Christmas’ production
- Provider of piano instruction to 85 students over the past year
- Performed and recorded with Kimberly Kennedy, DSO associate concertmaster, Stephen Shipps, Professor of Violin at UofM, and Katharine McPhee, American Idol finalist and TV personality
- Contact Hannah Frantz, Education Director, at 248-560-0366 to register for lessons with Suzanne Sommerville.
Note: There is a $25.00 enrollment fee, payable to Steinway Piano Gallery, due at registration. Siblings are $15.00.